What’s Happening, QCity: You’re in for a colorful and comical weekend
Today’s cup poured by:
Good Morning QCity and Happy Friday eve!
Did you know today is National Odometer Day? With an expected high of 72, it’s the perfect day for a cool ride. So, wherever Thursday takes you, may you make every mile count.
This week, our events list is bringing plenty of laughs from comedian Tara Brown, Jalon has more on that below.
Stay informed with news and events that impact Charlotte’s Black communities.
The fun doesn’t stop there.
You can also attend a colorful exhibit, see some of Broadway’s best hits, and more!
This weekend: a clean comedy show for the entire family
Tara Brown has performed clean and family-friendly comedy across the country. A longtime Charlotte resident, Brown has made a name for herself for fans of all ages.
She has shared stages with the likes of Ryan Hamilton, John Crist, Jimmie “JJ” Walker, and the late John Witherspoon.
This Sunday, she will grace the Comedy Zone stage for her “Clean Comedy Brunch” show.
QCity Metro spoke with the Brooklyn native on her career and upcoming performance.
See Jalon’s conversation with Brown here.
Our Weekend Picks
- Trap and Paint (Fri): Bring your imagination to life on a canvas while enjoying live comedy and drinks.
- Crayola IDEAworks (Fri): Explore your creativity while you interact with this colorful 17,000 square-foot exhibit.
- Zen Open Studio (Sat): Explore the art creations of sisters Faith and Hope at their art studio.
- Art in the Garden Tour (Sat-Sun): Tour six private gardens, including one in Washington Heights, and watch as painters recreate the surroundings on a canvas.
Theater and Dance
- Broadway’s Longest (Fri-Sat): Join Knight Theater in celebrating some of Broadway’s most classic tunes from the likes of The Lion King, Chicago, Phantom of the Opera and more.
- Friday Night House Jam (Fri): Kick back with a glass of wine and enjoy music from local artists.
- Wildflowers and Bluegrass (Sat): Explore the region’s Native American, African American, and colonial history through bluegrass music and local flora.
- Red Dubby Outdoors (Sat): Bring a lawn chair and enjoy the sounds of reggae, ska and more.
- Camden Commons (Sat): Prop your feet up and enjoy the comfort of an outdoor living room. There are also vendors, games, a live DJ and more!
Food and Drink
- 90’s Brunch (Sat): Head to South End and show your love for the 90’s while you enjoy brunch and music.
- Wing a Ding Ding Festival (Sat): Chow down on over 30 flavors of wings and sip on your choice of drink while you enjoy live music. Plus, you can vote on the best wings at the end of the night.
Note: Visit our events page for more QCity happenings or to post your own event. Sometimes the events we post are rescheduled, changed or canceled. We suggest you check before you go.
When hip-hop, comedy and improv mix
Before Hamilton, before In the Heights, there was Freestyle Love Supreme. Now, more than 15 years after its inception, the original hip-hop musical phenomenon from Thomas Kail, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Anthony Veneziale is coming to Charlotte May 24-29 in Knight Theater.
Every performance brings the unexpected, as the crew takes the crowd on a freestyle, hip-hop, improvisational comedy ride. See it for the first time each time – no two shows are the same!
Charlotte-based Atrium Health is doubling its size. (WFAE)
According to an audit, the Charlotte Area Transportation System may be owed money from its third-party advertisement manager. (WSOC)
Homeowners associations across Charlotte are fighting to keep their neighborhoods free of corporate investors. (WBTV)
More weekend plans from our partners
The Accenture IMAX Dome Theatre at Discovery Place Science is gearing up for summer with two incredible blockbusters—Top Gun: Maverick followed by Jurassic World Dominion! Only here for a limited time. Tickets on sale now.
Promote your event
QCity Metro partners with some of Charlotte’s leading arts & entertainment organizations. Let us help you promote your next event. Email Bethany Lane at firstname.lastname@example.org.